Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Walk This Bridge

This bridge is a decrepit relic
This bridge is a sign of glory gone
Carrying nothing but nostalgia
This eyesore has been here too long

My friend, we are much like this bridge
Out of commission, out of use
Still, somehow we're surviving
As our tight-knit bond grows loose

But no one can ever escape the facts
As harsh as they are, it is true
That no matter what, I'll never walk this bridge with you.

This bridge is a work in progress
Rebuilding the past for what's ahead
For that which is merely lying dormant
Is too often given up for dead

My friend, we are much like this bridge
Broken, but slowly in repair
Time is the judge, and we are the jury
Of all that is just, wise and fair

While no one can ever escape the facts
Uncertain as they are, nothing's through
So maybe someday, I will walk this bridge with you.

This bridge is repurposed, reopened
A symbol of nothing gone to waste
Carrying travelers in life's journey
With class, with decorum, with grace

My friend, we are much like this bridge
Enduring through ups, downs, redemption
Carrying us both through our journey
Is an irrepressible affection

And no one can ever escape the facts
Considering the facts, what can I do?
I cannot wait to walk this bridge with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are moderated due to spam comments on my other blogs.